Learn an effective model for creating, delivering, and continuously improving technology-enabled products and services
The ITIL 4 Foundation certification provides an introduction to the ITIL 4 Framework. It enables candidates to look at IT service management through an end-to-end operating model for the creation, delivery and continual improvement of tech-enabled products and services.
The certification is not just designed for IT teams, as it can provide benefits to:
- Any professionals working within an organization, or alongside an IT department, that has adopted ITIL
- Those who want to understand how ITIL can be used to enhance business outcomes
- Employees outside of IT or technical roles who are stakeholders or key resources for the delivery of IT product and services
Validate and expand your IT Service Management knowledge
The ITIL Foundation certification can benefit anyone who has an interest or a stake in IT service management.
By achieving the certification, ITIL 4 Foundation candidates prove they understand the following:
- The benefits of a holistic approach to the facilitation of co-creation of value with customers and other stakeholders
- The Guiding Principles of ITIL 4
- The Four Dimensions of Service Management
- The components of the Service Value System
- Key concepts from Lean, Agile, DevOps, and why these are important for delivering business value in modern IT Service Management
ITIL ® is a registered trademark of Axelos Limited, used under permission of Axelos Limited. All rights reserved. The Swirl logo™ is a trademark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
ITIL Foundation FAQs
What is an ITIL Foundation certification?
The ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) Foundation certification is a globally recognized framework of best practices for IT service management (ITSM), aiming to align IT services with the needs of businesses.
The ITIL 4 Foundation introduces the key elements, concepts, and terminology used in the ITIL framework. It's the entry point for professionals who want to learn about ITSM and how it can enhance the quality and efficiency of IT services, improve customer relations, and reduce risk within an organization.
At the Foundation level, professionals gain an understanding of the ITIL lifecycle stages. Each stage plays a crucial role in ensuring that IT services meet business goals.
With a grounding in ITIL's core principles, certified professionals can help organizations improve service delivery, increase customer satisfaction, reduce costs, and enhance collaboration.
The ITIL v4 Foundation is beneficial for anyone who wants to learn the basics of IT service management, including IT professionals, business managers, and business process owners. Given its foundational nature, there are no prerequisites to take the exam. After achieving the ITIL 4 Foundation certification, professionals can further their ITSM education by pursuing more advanced ITIL certifications.
Looking for advanced courses? Browse our IT course training catalog.
Why should I consider getting ITIL Foundation certified?
The ITIL Foundation certification is a highly respected credential in the IT service management field. Here are several compelling reasons you should consider obtaining the ITIL 4 Foundation certification:
- Global recognition: ITIL is a globally recognized framework, and the ITIL Foundation certification is acknowledged worldwide. Having this certification on your resume can open doors to opportunities across borders.
- Enhanced job opportunities: Many organizations look for ITIL-certified professionals when hiring for IT roles, especially in service management-related roles, such as service delivery managers, IT project managers, IT directors, IT support desk, and more. This internationally recognized certification can give you an advantage during job interviews or promotions.
- Improved service management skills: The ITIL Foundation certification provides a structured approach to service management. It equips you with best practices and methodologies that can help in delivering effective IT services.
- Better alignment with business needs: ITIL focuses on aligning IT services with business goals. By understanding the ITIL framework, you can ensure that IT processes and services support core business objectives more efficiently.
- Higher salary potential: Professionals with an ITIL certification can earn more than their non-certified counterparts. This ITIL certification shows employers that a candidate has valuable knowledge and skills in IT service management that can be used to reduce operational costs, attain larger business objectives, and meet increasing customer demands.
- Foundation for advanced certifications: The ITIL Foundation certification is the stepping stone for more advanced ITIL training. Once you have the foundational knowledge, you can explore higher-level ITIL courses and certifications.
What are the requirements for an ITIL Foundation certification?
The ITIL Foundation certification is designed to be an introductory-level credential for individuals interested in IT service management. Unlike many other certifications that require candidates to have prior certifications in the same track, the ITIL Foundation doesn't demand any previous ITIL certificates.
Additionally, while there is no course requirement for the exam, many individuals find value in taking an official ITIL Foundation training course. These courses, taught by world-class instructors, provide individuals with an immersive learning experience focused on contextualizing ITSM concepts with relevant examples and applications, and support them in preparing for the exam.
While not a prerequisite, having a basic understanding of IT terminology can help candidates grasp ITIL concepts more efficiently. Individuals with experience in IT or ITSM may find the concepts more relatable and easier to understand, but there's no professional experience required to take the ITIL Foundation exam.
How can I prepare for the ITIL Foundation exam?
As the cornerstone of IT service management, the ITIL framework is extensive and requires a strategic approach to prepare for the exam. Whether you're new to ITIL or have some background in IT service management, you'll need a clear roadmap to prepare for the ITIL 4 Foundation certification exam.
Here's a list of crucial tips to ensure success:
- Take a course: Enroll in an ITIL Foundation course to get comprehensive coverage of the syllabus and clarify complex concepts.
- Use official study materials: Use the official ITIL Foundation study guide and other literature to reinforce concepts learned.
- Practice: Take multiple practice exams to familiarize yourself with the exam format and types of questions that may be asked.
- Review key terminology: Create flashcards or notes of key terms and concepts and review them regularly.
Global Knowledge is a premier training provider with a robust curriculum tailored to the needs of IT professionals. Our ITIL Foundation training course is meticulously designed to ensure you grasp vital ITSM concepts, arming you with the insights required to ace the ITIL 4 Foundation certification exam.
What topics are covered in the ITIL Foundation exam?
The ITIL Foundation exam provides a broad understanding of the IT service management lifecycle. The main topics covered include the following:
- Introduction to ITIL and service management: The ITIL course introduces candidates to the basic concepts of the ITIL framework. It discusses the importance of IT services in meeting business needs and the role of ITSM in supporting service delivery.
- The four dimensions of service management: This topic casts light on the multifaceted nature of service management, dissecting its four integral dimensions and their collective impact on service.
- Service value system components: A deep dive into the service value system, this topic discusses the various components that come together to deliver unparalleled service value.
- Insights from Lean, Agile, and DevOps: Going beyond traditional ITSM concepts, the exam introduces candidates to the fundamental principles of methodologies like Lean, Agile, and DevOps.