Virtual Classroom Live Frequently Asked Questions
How long will I have access to the recording?
Enrolled students will have access to their class recording* for six months after the event.
When are my class recordings available?
Your recordings are available within 24 – 48 hours after the class ends for the day.*
What are my choices for audio in the class?
You can join the virtual classroom by utilizing your computer audio or a phone call from a traditional phone (landline or cellphone) or an internet phone such as Skype.
Traditional and internet phones may incur additional long distance or usage charges. Be aware of your plan limitations. Global Knowledge does not reimburse you for additional charges.
What can I do in my virtual class?
You can speak normally or use public or private integrated chat to communicate with the instructor and other students. You will view the instructor's slides, desktop shares and interactive whiteboard. You can ask questions, participate in polls, and even work on assignments and activities in break-out groups. In some cases, you can see the instructor through live video, and share your video if you have a connected USB webcam.
Can I access my class via a mobile device?
In order to access your session on a mobile device, download and install the Zoom Mobile app. Once the app is installed on your Apple iOS, Android, or BlackBerry device, call Global Knowledge technical support at 1-866-825-8555, and our support staff will verify your enrollment and provide a mobile attendee URL. You will use this mobile attendee URL to access your class from any of your mobile devices throughout the week.
Important: Using a mobile device should be an exception, as many Global Knowledge courses require a Windows PC to access the remote lab environment at various times during the week.
What should I do if I am having problems connecting to my labs?
Our courses use a number of different lab environments, so the fix you need depends on the course you're taking. Please contact our support team.
What are the recommended system requirements for the virtual classroom delivery formats?
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam - built-in or USB plug-in
- Or, a HD cam or HD camcorder with video capture card
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 10, 8 or 8.1, 7, or Vista with SP1 or later, XP with SP3 or later
- Mac OS X with MacOS 10.7
- Ubuntu 12.04 or higher
- Mint 17.1 or higher
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 or higher
- Oracle Linux 6.4 or higher
- CentOS 6.4 or higher
- Fedora 21 or higher
- OpenSUSE 13.2 or higher
- ArchLinux (64-bit only)
Additional system recommendations for a good virtual learning experience:
- For screen sharing only (no video thumbnail): 50-75kbps (down)
- For screen sharing with video thumbnail: 50-150kbps (down)
- For audio VoiP: 60-80kbps (down)
Internet Connection Type:
- Wired connection recommended
- 1024 x 768 or higher
- 16-bit color
- Full duplex sound card
- USB headset with noise cancellation recommended
- Phone with headset or speakerphone
- Landline is preferred over wireless
- Traditional and internet phones may incur additional long distance or usage charges. Be aware of your plan limitations. Global Knowledge does not reimburse you for additional charges.
What are your course polices?
View Global Knowledge course policies.
*Course recordings subject to availability by course. Contact your training advisor for more information.
What are the system requirements for On-Demand learning?
- Processor: Minimum:P3 800 MHz; Recommended: 1.2 GHz Pentium or equivalent
- Recommended RAM: As required to run your operating system (at least 512 MB recommended)
- Disk space: 0 KB, not including browser, plug-ins, etc.
- Monitor resolution: Minimum: 1024 x 768, 16-bit color; Recommended: 32-bit color
- Operating systems: Windows 2000, XP and Vista (Note: Windows Vista is supported for all online courses and most courses on CD.)
- Browsers: Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher (preferred) or Firefox 2.0 or later (Firefox 2.0 only for courses on CD)
- Browser plug-in: Flash Player 9 or later
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 or later
How will online learning affect the performance of my network?
Due to the intermittent nature of learning, it really depends on simultaneous system requests of the learning population when taking an online course.
Can I shut off access to the content for an employee if they leave the company?
Yes. Call the Technical Support Helpdesk and they can deactivate any user from accessing our online courses.
Does this work on a 56K connection and what is optimal?
While the On-Demand courses will work on a 56K connection, we recommend at least a LAN, ISDN, DSL or cable modem connection to ensure an optimal experience while taking the course online.
Do you store cookies?
Yes. A cookie is used to facilitate the logout experience so the user is directed to the correct page when they leave the LMS. A cookie also allows the user to store their login ID and password so they do not have to login each time they access the course.
Does Java need to be installed?
Sun's JRE v.1.4 or higher or Microsoft's VM for Java must be available for SCORM communication with the Oracle LMS.
Do we need to enable ActiveX Controls?
Yes. ActiveX is required for Flash content in Internet Explorer and to launch the OnDemand player.
Can we just buy your CDs and load into our own CMS, LMS or internal server?
Yes. Please contact your training advisor for more details. If our courseware is delivered to you via CD for inclusion in your existing LMS, the courses would be launched just like any of your other content that you host. Global Knowledge courseware has been successfully tested to operate in Docent, Pathlore and Saba.
These LMSs are capable of launching and tracking:
- Start and end sessions
- Time in course
- Completion status
- Assessment score
Can assessments and start/stop data results be imported into our existing LMS?
That depends. Please see above.
Are the On-Demand platform standards compliant?
Yes. The platform is AICC, SCORM 1.1, 1.2 and IMS compliant.
Are the On-Demand content standards compliant?
Yes. The content can be packaged for delivery via an internal LMS system. All Global Knowledge proprietary On-Demand content can be packaged to comply with AICC, SCORM and IMS and will therefore operate in any LMS that conforms to these specifications. To be specific, our courseware conforms to:
- AICC AGR-010: Web-based CMI Guidelines (Version 3.4)
- CBT Course Individual
- CBT AU
- Authoring System
- SCORM Specifications (Version 1.1, 1.2)
- The SCORM Content Aggregation Model
- Sharable Content Object Runtime Environment (SCO-RTE1)
- SCORM Version 1.1, 1.2 Metadata XML - Minimum with Optional Elements (MD-XML1+Optional)
- IMS Content Packaging Specification (Version 1.1.1) - Level 0
Are your desktop application courses MOUS certified?
Yes. All of Global Knowledge's Microsoft Desktop application courseware is MOUS certified. Our courseware is specifically designed to prepare individuals to take MOUS certification exams. It covers 100 percent of the MOUS exam objectives (concepts that are used to create MOUS exams) and is reviewed by a third party appointed by Microsoft to meet Microsoft's rigorous quality standards. You can be certain you are delivering high quality that will best prepare your students to become Microsoft Office User Specialists.
Do I need to make any firewall changes?
Typically no. The streaming video will achieve better performance if port 1755 is open. If it is not then the video defaults to port 80 - HTTP.
What are your course polices?
View Global Knowledge course policies here.
Red Hat specific information
Still have questions?
Please contact our support team with technical issues:
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (ET)