How To Earn a Top-Paying AWS Certification & Salary
- Date: 01 June, 2018
Despite only being in the marketplace for five years, AWS certifications have become a featured highlight whenever IT salary reports are released. The high adoption rate of AWS cloud services by organizations around the globe has translated into some of the top salaries for those IT professionals choosing to pursue these certifications in particular.
Of the 16,000 IT professionals who participated in the Global Knowledge 2018 IT Skills and Salary Survey, 807 respondents said they hold an AWS certification. The average salary of an AWS-certified IT professional is roughly $113,000, the highest of all certifications in the United States and Canada.
The AWS role-based certification tracks offer candidates both associate and professional-level paths designed for developers, systems operations administrators and solutions architects.Here are the highlights of each certification including what you need to know to earn them.
AWS Certified Solutions Architect
Amazon offers both associate and professional levels of its AWS Certified Solutions Architect certifications. You must earn your associate-level certification before advancing to the professional level.
Based on our 2018 IT Skills and Salary Survey, the average salary for those holding AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate Level in the United States and Canada is $117,773. A few concepts candidates should know prior to taking the exam include:
- Designing and deploying scalable, highly available systems on AWS
- Selecting the correct AWS service based on requirements
- Deploying on-premises apps to AWS
Once you have attained the Associate certificate, IT specialists should consider the Professional level as the next step. According to the 72 respondents in our 2018 report, this certification brings in an average salary of $136,259, but bear in mind this number may fluctuate due to the small sample size of respondents. Candidates should have experience:
- Designing and deploying dynamically scalable and reliable applications on AWS
- An ability to migrate complex multi-tier applications on AWS
AWS Certified Developer
The average salary for those holding the AWS Certified Developer – Associate certificate is $112,984. To achieve this increasingly popular certification, candidates should have:
- A good grasp on choosing the right AWS services for the application
- Leveraging software development kits (SDKs) to interact with services from your application
- Writing code that optimizes performance
- Code-level application security
AWS Certified SysOps Administrator
The average salary for those holding the AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate certification is $125,149. This certification validates technical expertise in deployment, management, and operations on AWS. Candidates seeking this certification should understand concepts such as:
- Implementing and controlling the flow of data to and from AWS
- Migrating on-premises apps to AWS
- Identifying operational cost control mechanisms
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer
The AWS Certified Devops Engineer is the professional-level certification to both the Developer and SysOps Administrator associate level – meaning you must hold one of those certifications prior to obtaining this one. In the IT Skills and Salary Report, a total of 33 respondents from the United States and Canada hold this certification. The small sample pool generated an average salary of $125,743. This certification validates technical expertise in provisioning, operating and managing distributed application systems on the AWS platform. Candidates should have a thorough understanding of concepts such as:
- Implementing and managing continuous delivery systems and methodologies on AWS
- Maintaining tools to automate operational processes
- Security controls and governance processes
As interest in AWS continues to skyrocket, the need to validate AWS skills through certification will continue to grow and shine a light on the IT professionals who achieve these top-paying certifications. As with anything else in life, learning the skills and practicing helps pave the way to success.
2018 Average Salary