10 Certifications That Really Mean Something
- Date: 21 June, 2018
So what gives a certification its perceived worth? Some certifications are seen as too easy or entry level, while others have their own mystique or aura that has developed. Let's look at a few (in no particular order) that seem to have a little more weight.
1. Project Management Professional (PMP®)Project management is a valuable skill that is always in demand - a demand that continues to grow. The Project Management Institute (PMI®) runs the PMP certification program. A PMP is universally recognised as having the most highly recognised certification for project managers, so it's not surprising that PMPs are in great demand and highly sought-after by corporations. When you have earned a PMP, you have both documented project management experience as well as professional education. You have demonstrated success in leading and directing projects. The PMP experience and exam requirements focus on five process groups: Initiating, Planning, Executing, Controlling and Closing, and those holding a PMP certification must meet rigorous qualifications as well as required continuing education requirements. All of these factors ensure that the PMP credential is widely respected.
2. Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)The CISSP certification is the current gold standard in information security certifications. It is aimed at security managers and security professionals who develop policies and procedures in information security. Earning and maintaining a CISSP certification is required for many governmental, military and civilian security positions. The CISSP was the first credential in the field of information security accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) Standard 17024:2003.
3. VMware Certified Professional 5 - Data Center Virtualisation (VCP5-DCV)Virtualisation professionals are increasingly in demand as more corporations seek to virtualise their infrastructure. In the highly competitive virtualisation market, it is essential to distinguish yourself with a certification that validates your technical capabilities. VMware is one of the leading vendors of virtualisation products, and earning a VMware certification is the first step toward gaining industry-recognised expertise in virtual infrastructure. VMware has three certification levels: VMware Certified Professional (VCP), VMware Certified Advanced Professional (VCAP) and VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX). If you wish to earn the VCP, you must attend an authorised VMware class (not always required from other vendors) and then pass the certification test. The VCP5-DCV is the latest certification on vSphere and highly sought after.
5. Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Private CloudPerfect for aspiring server administrators, systems programmers and network managers, the MCSE: Private Cloud certification validates expertise in managing and implementing Microsoft private cloud technologies. Earning MCSE: Private Cloud certification signifies that you have extensive knowledge of Windows Server and System Center and can use it to build a private cloud solution that optimises IT service delivery and provides the automation and flexibility needed for an enduring IT infrastructure.
6. VMware Certified Professional - Cloud (VCP-Cloud)Just as virtualisation professionals have seen an increasing demand, so have cloud professionals. The VCP-Cloud validates your ability to install, configure and administer a cloud environment using vCloud Director and other components.
7. Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
Generally, if you ask an IT professional to name a highly sought-after certification, a CCIE will probably be one of their first choices. The CCIE is the highest level of certification offered by Cisco and is one of the most respected and sought-after IT certifications today. It's also one of the most difficult to earn. You must prove your knowledge through arduous hands-on labs - there's no memorization, just pure hands-on examination. There are nine discrete CCIE specializations in the CCIE Program, and there are more than 38,000 CCIE professionals around the world.