The main benefit of earning VMware Certified Professional 5 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP5-DCV) certification is to distinguish yourself from others in the virtualization community. It’s also a great way to validate your technical capabilities as you look to advance your career. Interestingly, some companies prefer that their employees gain VCP5-DCV certification as a means to validate the technical capabilities of the company or a specific team. In fact, many of VMware’s partners maintain a team of VCP5-DCV professionals.
A major benefit of VCP5-DCV certification is the salary potential. Global Knowledge and “Windows IT Pro” recently published the “2014 IT Skills & Salary Report” (PDF) that indicates the mean salary for IT professionals who are VCP5-DCV certified is $94,515.
The official VCP5-DCV benefits posted on VMware.com are:
- Recognition of your technical knowledge and skills
- Official transcripts
- Use of VCP5-DCV logo
- Access to the exclusive VCP portal and logo merchandise store
- Invitation to beta exams and classes
- Discounts from VMware Press
- Discounted admission to VMware events
- Complimentary VMware Workstation license
- Greater opportunities for career advancement
Additionally, VCP5-DCV can be used to meet the requirement for obtaining some advanced certifications, such as:
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA)
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
- VMware Certified Design Expert 5 – Data Center Virtualization (VCDX5-DCV)
VCP5-DCV is no longer required before obtaining the VCP – Desktop (VCP-DT) or VMware Certified Professional – Cloud (VCP5-Cloud) certifications.
So, thinking about earning your VCP5-DCV? Share your reason(s) in the comments section.
This is an excerpt from the Global Knowledge white paper Tips on Preparing for and Passing the VCP5-DCV Exam.