Entry number 13 of this series offered a challenging pop quiz on how to configure QoS on a Cisco router using Modular QoS Command Line Interface (MQC) queuing mechanisms.
Here is the pop quiz question with the answer in the CLI output below.
Author: Paul Stryer
On the HQ WAN router, configure the appropriate MQC based queuing mechanism for the outbound traffic to the WAN s0/0, so that the following requirements will be met.
Only add the QoS commands to the below configuration, assume everything else needed for the network is finished or will be put in later.
- Class Map for voice that matches RTP, EF, CS3, and AF31
- Class Map for Bulk that matches FTP, and aF11
- Class map for Interactive that matches Citrix, and af21
- Name the policy: qos-policy
- Voice Traffic: 128 Kbps Maximum, use the IOS default burst values
- Interactive Traffic: 30 Kbps minimum
- Bulk Traffic: 24 Kbps minimum, also limit traffic to an average rate of 24 kbps by buffering excess traffic. Use the IOS default BC and BE
- Class-Default: Weighted Fair Queue with no bandwidth guarantee
Here is the basic configuration of the HQ router.
HQ#sh run version 12.4 service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec no service password-encryption ! hostname HQ ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! no aaa new-model memory-size iomem 5 ip cef ! multilink bundle-name authenticated ! archive log config hidekeys ! class-map match-any bulk match protocol ftp match ip dscp af11 class-map match-any interactive match protocol citrix match ip dscp af21 class-map match-any voice match protocol rtp match ip dscp cs3 af31 ef ! policy-map qos-policy class voice priority 128 class interactive bandwidth 30 class bulk bandwidth 16 shape average 24000 class class-default fair-queue ! interface FastEthernet0/0 ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/0 bandwidth 384 ip address 10.11.12.1 255.255.255.254 encapsulation ppp clock rate 2000000 service-policy output qos-policy ! interface FastEthernet0/1 no ip address shutdown duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/1 no ip address shutdown clock rate 2000000 ! ip http server no ip http secure-server ! control-plane ! line con 0 line aux 0 line vty 0 4 ! webvpn cef ! end