Combined ISTQB Foundation and Agile Extension
- Course Code FA
- Duration 5 days
This course is available in the following formats:
Traditional Classroom Learning
Request this course in a different delivery format.
The combined ISTQB Foundation & Agile Tester Extension 5 day course covers the fundamentals of software testing, providing delegates with the necessary foundations for a career as a software testing professional and the last two days includes a high proportion of hands-on practical team-based activities to allow candidates to get a true feel for how agile projects work in the real world.
The first three days is an intensive tutor-led course and includes exam preparation, revision and the ISTQB Foundation in software testing examination is taken on the afternoon of the third day. It is fully-accredited by UKTB on behalf of ISTQB and has been rated SFIAplus level 3 by the BCS. The last two days of this course include lectures, exercises and practical work and includes a high proportion of hands-on practical team-based activities to allow candidates to get a true feel for how agile projects work in the real world. The last two days have been rated at SFIAplus level 4 by the BCS. The ISTQB Agile Tester Extension exam can be taken on line at any Pearson Vue Centre, for which a voucher will be provided following completion of the training course. After successfully completing the course and passing the exams, delegates should be able to:
- Use a common language for efficient and effective communication with other testers and project stakeholders.
- Understand established testing concepts, the fundamental test process, test approaches, and principles to support test objectives.
- Design and prioritize tests by using established techniques.
- Analyse both functional and non-functional specifications (such as performance and usability) at all test levels for systems with low to medium levels of complexity.
- Execute tests according to agreed test plans and analyse and report on the results of tests.
- Write clear and understandable incident reports.
- Effectively participate in reviews of small to medium-sized projects.
- Be familiar with different types of testing tools and their uses; and assist in the tool selection and implementation process.
- Delegates should be able to collaborate in an agile team, being familiar with agile principles and practices.
- Adapt existing testing experience, knowledge, and best practices, and apply relevant test methods and techniques; Help business stakeholders define understandable and testable user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Delivery Format: Public Classroom
- Date: 15-19 August, 2022
- Location: Virtual Training Centre
The ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level is principally aimed at anyone directly involved in software testing, who needs to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts, such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test leads, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers. The Foundation Level Extension Agile Tester part of the course is suitable for those who are, or expect to be, working on agile projects. It is aimed at those who seek a practical application of the core software testing material covered at ISTQB Foundation level to agile projects.
- The objectives for the Certified Tester Foundation Level qualification are to:
- prepare candidates for the Foundation Certificate in Software Testing based on the ISTQB syllabus;
- improve understanding of software testing – its purpose and nature – and to raise awareness of issues and constraints around testing;
- learn standard terminology;
- introduce test techniques (static, white & black box) to delegates as well as providing practical experience of key techniques;
- provide a complete picture of the test processes from requirements review to system implementation; and
- provide delegates with an environment that supports their learning and impart them with the necessary confidence and means to support their future career as a test professional.
- Collaborate in an agile team, being familiar with agile principles and practices;
- Adapt existing testing experience, knowledge, and best practices;
- Support the agile team in planning test related activities;
- Apply relevant test methods and techniques;
- Assist in test automation;
- Help business stakeholders define understandable and testable user stories and acceptance criteria;
- Work with and share information with other team members.
There are six chapters with examinable content. The top-level heading for each chapter specifies the time for the chapter; timing is not provided below chapter level. For accredited training courses, the syllabus requires a minimum of 16.75 hours of instruction, distributed across the six chapters as follows:
- Chapter 1: 175 minutes Fundamentals of Testing
- Chapter 2: 100 minutes Testing Throughout the Software Development Lifecycle
- Chapter 3: 135 minutes Static Testing
- Chapter 4: 330 minutes Test Techniques
- Chapter 5: 225 minutes Test Management
- Chapter 6: 40 minutes Tool Support for Testing
ISTQB Agile Tester:
- Chapter 1: 150 minutes Agile Software Development
- Chapter 2: 105 minutes Fundamental Agile Testing Principles, Practices, and Processes
- Chapter 3: 480 minutes Agile Testing Methods, Techniques, and Tools
The entry requirements are that the candidate should have a basic working knowledge of IT. On arrival at the course, candidates should have read the provided syllabus in preparation for the course. The course is intensive and those delegates who have prepared achieve a higher exam success rate.
To qualify as an internationally-recognized Certified Foundation Level and Agile Extension Tester and be issued with an ISTQB® Certificate for each, delegates must successfully pass the exams administered by the relevant National Board or Examination Provider. Each of the two exams
- Consist of a one hour exam with 40 multiple choice questions.
- Will be ‘closed book’ exams i.e. no notes or books will be allowed into the examination room.
- Duration of 60 minutes (or 75 minutes for candidates taking exams that are not in their native language)
- No study material or electronic devices (including mobile phones) may be used during the examination
- Candidates are allowed to use simple nonprogrammable calculators (to be provided by the candidate)
- An official translation of terms (not their definitions) from the ISTQB® Glossary to the local language is allowed
- Candidates taking exams that are not in their native language may use a paper-based translation dictionary.
- The pass mark is 65% (26 out of 40).
Follow on CoursesTop
At Foundation Level:- ISTQB Agile Tester
- ISTQB Mobile App Tester
- ISTQB Model Based Tester
- ISTQB AI for Testers
- ISTQB Acceptance Tester
At Advanced Level
- ISTQB Test Analyst
- ISTQB Technical Test Analyst
- ISTQB Agile Technical Tester
- ISTQB Automation Engineer
- ISTQB Test Manager
- ISTQB Security Tester
Founded in 2002, ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) is a not-for-profit association comprising 47 national boards (including the UKTB) covering 71 countries worldwide.
ISTQB has defined the Advanced certification as part of their ‘Certified Tester’ scheme that, with over 240,000 certifications, has become the de facto world-wide standard for software testing qualifications.
The ‘Certified Tester’ scheme:
- provides a set of professional qualifications widely-recognised by employers, customers and peers;
- enables software suppliers to hire and train certified testers and thereby gain commercial advantage over their competitors by advertising their tester recruitment and development policies; and
- enables comparison of testing skills across different countries, testers to move across country borders more easily, and multi-national/international projects to have a common understanding of testing issues.