What You'll Learn
- Describe how z/OS now integrates problem determination simplification
- Understand how all elements work together for an integrated IBM soft failure solution
- Implement and use the following soft failure Detect/Diagnose/Avoid capabilities in z/OS, and learn how they interact:
- Analysis/Diagnosis: Predictive Failure Analysis + Runtime Diagnostics + IBM zAware
- Avoidance: Health Checker
- First point of defense: z/OS components
- Problem data management: IBM z/OS Management Facility (z/OSMF)
- Identify and resolve problems in a z/OS environment
- Know the procedures to properly collect problem data, avoid potential problems, and diagnose failures
- Implement the basic diagnostic approaches for various problems such as abends, loops, hangs, overlays
- Describe the various kinds of problem documentation available in z/OS debugging
- Use the common tools for problem determination, and the main sources of diagnostic data (logs, dumps, tracing, performance documentation helpers)
Who Needs To Attend
This intermediate course is for anyone who has to diagnose software problems that occur while running the operating system. This person is typically a system programmer for the installation.
Information Technology (IT) professionals responsible for z/OS problem determination and diagnosis and subsystem programmers will also benefit from this class.