It’s out with the old and in with the new as VMware releases VMware Certified Professional 6 – Desktop (VCP6-DT), a new certification for system engineers and desktop virtualization specialists, while at the same time announcing the retirement of the VDCA510 and VDCD510 exams.
The new VCP6-DT certification is intended for virtualization professionals who have a foundation in vSphere implementation and administration and wish to work with VMware Horizon 6 (with View). This environment delivers virtualized and remote desktops and applications through a single platform and supports end users with access to all of their Windows and online resources through one unified workspace. So, the new qualification validates the knowledge and skills required to implement, install and configure Horizon 6 (with View) deployed on vSphere, with the emphasis on:
- Creating and administering virtual desktops.
- Configuring and administering View, Mirage and the Workspace Portal.
- Configuring host networking and storage.
- Working with DRS, HA and other cluster-related vSphere features.
For those interested in earning the certification, there are two starting points:
- If you’re just starting with VMware desktop technology, you must complete one of the following courses prior to taking the exam:
- VMware Horizon (with View): Install, Configure, Manage (V6.0)
- VMware Mirage (5.0) and Horizon View Fast track (v6.0)
- If you already hold a valid VCP-level certification, then completion of one of the above courses prior to the exam is simply recommended rather than mandatory.
Meanwhile, VMware has also announced that the following two exams will be retired on January 31, 2015:
- VDCA510, which qualified candidates for the VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) certification and was based on vSphere V5.0.
- VDCD510, which qualified candidates for the VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD) certification and was based on vSphere V5.0.
After the January 31st retirement date, you will not be able to schedule either of these exams, but you will still be able to earn the VCAP5-DCA or VCAP5-DCD certifications by passing the exams based on vSphere V5.5 (VDCA550 and VDCD550, respectively).