Logical Partitioning (LPAR) on System i (AS530)
This course is not currently offered by Global Knowledge. Information here is provided for reference only.
Learn basic and advanced concepts of Logical Partitioning (LPAR) for the iSeries POWER5-based servers. Begin with an overview of LPAR on the iSeries, followed with very detailed information on configuration planning and implementation using hands-on exercises to create and implement logical partitions. Also, learn about partial processors, dynamic allocation and reallocation of memory, processors, interactive Commercial Processing Workloads (CPW), buses and Input/Output Processors (IOP), Graphical User Interface (GUI), Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN), and LPAR Validation Tool (LVT). Use IBM eServer i5 equipment and emphasize the new hardware, including the use of the Hardware Management Console (HMC).
What You'll Learn
- Understand the functionality of LPAR for iSeries POWER5-based servers
- Plan and configure an iSeries POWER5-based server for LPAR
- Review the concepts behind the creation and deletion of partitions
- Implement and support LPAR on the iSeries POWER5-based servers
- Describe the function and use of the new LVT
- Set up (HMC) and use it to partition Managed Servers (MS)
Who Needs to Attend
This is a basic course for technical specialists, support/services individuals, individuals implementing LPAR for iSeries POWER5-based servers, and IBM Business Partners, who sell and plan for consolidated systems.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
There are no follow-ons for this course.
- LPAR overview
- Partial processors
- GUI enhancements via HMC
- Dynamic resource allocation
- Planning and configuring LPAR for iSeries POWER5-based servers
- Using operations console with LPAR for iSeries POWER5-based servers
- Ability to partition a new model 520/570
- Virtual ethernet
- LPAR implementation
- Upgrading an iSeries system that uses LPAR
- Managing an LPAR system