Symmetrix VMAX Configuration Management
Learn to configure a Symmetrix and prepare it for host access.
In this course, you will gain the skills needed to configure a Symmetrix and prepare it for host access. You will focus on the use of the Symmetrix command line interface (SYMCLI) on the Symmetrix V-Max Series Array. You will also cover managing configuration changes with the Unisphere for VMAX GUI. You will cover different types of devices and their functions as well as creation, mapping, and masking of devices to traditional and VMWare ESXi servers. You will explore and other topics, including Autoprovisioning, Virtual Provisioning, Virtual LUN migration for regular and thin devices, Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) for disk groups, and Virtual Pools and Federated Tiered Storage. Lab exercises will cover operational details of all topics.
What You'll Learn
- Symmetrix configuration
- Create and map Symmetrix devices
- Connect hosts to Symmetrix storage
- Map and mask devices using autoprovisioning
- Migrate devices non-disruptively using Virtual LUN migration
- Virtual provisioning concepts
- Manage virtual provisioning with Solutions Enabler
- Monitor thin pools
- Describe federated tiered storage
- Describe FAST and FAST VP concepts
- Manage FAST and FAST VP using SYMCLI
- Describe Symmetrix configuration with Unisphere for VMAX
- Manage Symmetrix storage in a virtual environment
Who Needs to Attend
- Configure Symmetrix devices
- Use Symmetrix Enginuity features to manage storage
- Use Enginuity features to manage non-Symmetrix storage from EMC and other vendors
- To understand the content and successfully complete this course, you must:
- Have an understanding of Symmetrix and VMware vSphere fundamentals. Labs will be conducted on UNIX and Windows systems.
- Be familiar with the editor so you can create files during the lab exercises.
There are no follow-ons for this course.
Certification Programs and Certificate Tracks
This course is part of the following programs or tracks: