Symmetrix Configuration Management
Learn to configure a Symmetrix and prepare it for host access.
In this course, you will gain the skills needed to configure a Symmetrix and prepare it for host access. You will focus on the use of the Symmetrix command line interface (SYMCLI) on the Symmetrix V-Max Series Array. You will also cover managing configuration changes with the Symmetrix Management Console (SMC) GUI. You will cover different types of devices and their functions as well as creation, mapping, and masking of devices. You will explore setting Symmetrix metrics and RDF group attributes, and other topics, including Autoprovisioning, Virtual Provisioning, Virtual LUN migration for regular and thin devices, Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) for disk groups, and Virtual Pools. Lab exercises will cover operational details of all topics.
Did You Know?
This class is available in our Virtual Classroom -- live online training that combines premium skills development technologies and expert instructors, content, and exercises to ensure superior training, regardless of your location.
What You'll Learn
- Symmetrix Configuration and Device Masking
- Create and map Symmetrix devices
- Set Symmetrix metrics and device attributes, manage Dynamic RDF, and device pools
- Map and mask devices using Autoprovisioning
- Migrate devices non-disruptively using Virtual LUNs
- Virtual Provisioning Concepts
- Manage Virtual Provisioning with Solutions Enabler
- Monitor Virtual Pools
- Use the Symmetrix Management Console to perform configuration management
- FAST architecture
- FAST theory of operations and recommended practices
- Configure and manage FAST using SYMCLI and SMC
Who Needs to Attend
EMC personnel, customers, and partners who configure and manage a Symmetrix in a Windows or UNIX environment
Understanding of Symmetrix fundamentals
Labs will be conducted on UNIX and Windows systems. On Unix, you must be familiar with the editor and user commands on at least one of the following UNIX shells:
There are no follow-ons for this course.
Certification Programs and Certificate Tracks
This course is part of the following programs or tracks:
1. Symmetrix Configuration and Device Masking
2. Device Creation and Mapping
3. Symmetrix and Device Attributes
5. Virtual Provisioning Concepts and Planning
6. Virtual Provisioning with Solution Enabler
7. Monitoring Thin Pools
8. Virtual LUN Migration
9. FAST and FAST VP Concepts
10. Managing FAST and FAST VP Using SYMCLI
11. Using SMC to Do Everything