Symmetrix VMAX Business Continuity Management
Learn to architect, deploy, and manage Symmetrix-based local and remote replication solutions for business continuity.
In this course, you will gain the knowledge required to deploy and manage Symmetrix-based local and remote replication solutions for business continuity needs. Operational details and implementation considerations for EMC TimeFinder, SRDF, and Open Replicator are covered. Lessons include considerations for and performing local and remote replication operations in physical and virtualized environments.
Hands-on lab exercises using Symmetrix Command Line Interface (SYMCLI) and Unisphere for VMAX provide you with the opportunity to learn and validate the material covered in the lectures. Lab exercises will be performed in physical (Sun Solaris and Windows 2008) and virtualized (VMware ESXi) environments. Servers will be SAN attached to Symmetrix VMAX series arrays.
Did You Know?
This class is available in our Virtual Classroom -- live online training that combines premium skills development technologies and expert instructors, content, and exercises to ensure superior training, regardless of your location.
What You'll Learn
- Perform TimeFinder/Clone and TimeFinder/Snap operations with SYMCLI and SMC
- Unisphere for VMAX in physical and virtualized environments
- Perform SRDF operations in Synchronous (SRDF/S) and Asynchronous (SRDF/A) modes using SYMCLI and Unisphere for VMAX - in physical and virtualized environments
- Perform Open Replicator for Symmetrix (ORS) data replication in hot/cold, push, and pull scenarios
- Describe the use of Unisphere for VMAX for performing local and remote replication operations
Who Needs to Attend
EMC personnel, customers, and partners involved in implementing and managing local and remote replication solutions for business continuity using TimeFinder, SRDF, and Open Replicator in an Open Systems environment.
- Experience with Windows and/or UNIX operating systems
- Ability to utilize host-based GUI and/or command line interfaces to perform all hands-on labs
- Knowledge of Symmetrix architecture, concepts, and theory of operations
- TimeFinder, SRDF, and Open Replicator for Symmetrix fundamentals
- Symmetrix configuration management experience
- VMware vSphere ESXi fundamentals
There are no follow-ons for this course.
Certification Programs and Certificate Tracks
This course is part of the following programs or tracks:
1. Symmetrix Business Continuity Concepts
- Device Groups, Consistency Groups, and Device Files
- VMware Storage Presentation Methods
- Host Considerations when Accessing Replicated Devices in Physical and Virtual Environments
2. TimeFinder/Clone and TimeFinder VP Snap Operations
- TimeFinder VP Snap
- TimeFinder/Clone Operations in a Virtualized Environment - Replicating a VMFS Datastore
- TimeFinder/Clone Operations in a Virtualized Environment - Replicating a VM Accessing RDM Hard Disks
- Using Unisphere for VMAX to perform TimeFinder/Clone and TimeFinder VP Snap Operations
3. TimeFinder/Snap Operations
- TimeFinder/Snap Overview and Considerations
- Managing TimeFinder/Snap Using SYMCLI
- Using Unisphere for VMAX for TimeFinder/Snap Operations
4. SRDF/Synchronous Operations
- SRDF Initial Setup Operations
- SRDF Disaster Recovery Operations
- SRDF Decision Support/Concurrent Operations
- SRDF/S for VMFS Disaster Recovery
- SRDF/S Disaster Recovery for a VM Accessing RDM Hard Disks
- Using Unisphere for VMAX to Perform SRDF/S Operations
5. SRDF/Asynchronous Operations
- SRDF/A Overview and Operations
- SRDF/A Resiliency Features
- SRDF/A Multi-Session Consistency
- SRDF/A Consistency Exempt Feature
6. Open Replicator for Symmetrix Operational Details
- Open Replicator Overview and Modes of Operation
- Zoning and LUN Masking Requirements
- Using SYMCLI to Perform ORS Operations
- Using Unisphere for VMAX to Perform ORS Operations
In addition to lecture and demonstrations, this course includes labs designed to allow practical experience for the participant.