Network Security Basic Administration Training (NS-101)
Learn to design, implement, and troubleshoot SonicWALL security devices running SonicOS firmware.
This course, formerly titled Network Security Essentials Administrator, provides you with the background, knowledge, and hands-on experience to begin designing, implementing, and troubleshooting SonicWALL security appliances running SonicOS firmware. Attend this course by December 31, 2013 and receive one Dell® SonicWALL® TZ 205 TotalSecure network security appliance and a one year Comprehensive Gateway Security Suite license.
This technical training covers configuration and deployment of the SonicOS firmware. You will become familiar with a wide spectrum of SonicWALL's innovative feature set, such as Unified Threat Management (UTM), Single Sign On, VPN, SSL VPN, and Content Filtering Service. As you examine the wide array of security features SonicOS has to offer, you will learn validation of settings and troubleshooting techniques using the SonicWALL diagnostic tools. Formative evaluations (knowledge checks and hands-on exercises) are incorporated throughout this course to test new skill sets.
To attend this course, prerequisite skills and knowledge are required, including completing three e-Learning courses prior to beginning this class. Information from these e-Learning modules is included on the certification exam. The prerequisite training is available from SonicWALL at http://www.sonicwall.com/us/support/eLearning.html and includes:
Network Security Technology Overview e-Learning (~2 hours)
For those new to network security, this optional online course provides an introduction to the key concepts and fundamentals of network security. While this course is not mandatory, it is strongly suggested.
Network Security Essentials e-Learning (~6 hours)
This online course will provide you with critical foundational information concerning firewall technology, security risks and remediation, and network security design and implementation considerations. Additionally, you will learn how to configure and implement SonicWALL firewall appliances and extend the firewall's capability using rules, security applications, and other network specific functions and troubleshooting techniques. You will practice key activities through online simulations.
Virtual Private Networking with SonicOS e-Learning (~6 hours)
A critical follow-on to the Network Security Essentials e-Learning course, this online course will give you a comprehensive education in core VPN technology, design, and implementation considerations. You will also learn about SonicWALL-specific VPN configuration and deployment as well as troubleshooting techniques. As in Securing Networks with SonicOS, you will be able to practice key activities through online simulations.
Certified SonicWALL System Administrator (CSSA) for Network Security
The certification exam is available online via your personal work MySonicWALL account. During training, you will be given an activation key that will allow you to access the exam up to three times. If you successfully complete this course and pass the certification exam, you will be deemed a Certified SonicWALL System Administrator (CSSA).
The exam is administered outside the class. You will be allotted 180 minutes to complete 60 questions. A passing score is 80% or higher.
At the end of the exam, you will be notified immediately of your exam score and pass or fail status. Upon passing the exam, you will receive an e-mail containing your CSSA certificate. You can view your certification details, print your certificate, access CSSA certification logos, and much more on MySonicWALL.
For registrations using an application key, you cannot register via the web. You must call to complete your registration.
What You'll Learn
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot SonicWALL security appliances running SonicOS Enhanced firmware
- Configure and deploy SonicOS Enhanced firmware
- Components of SonicWALL's feature set
- Use SonicWALL diagnostic tools to validate and troubleshoot
Who Needs to Attend
System engineers, channel partners, service partners, and system administrators
- Completion of the three e-Learning courses available from SonicWALL that
- Network Security Essentials
- Virtual Private Networking with SonicOS
- Network Security Technology Overview
- Other skills required include:
- Basic knowledge of networking concepts, network topologies, and the OSI model of networking protocol stacks
- Understanding of TCP/IP, network addressing, subnets, and Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Knowledge of basic router concepts
- Familiarity with IPSec functionality and implementation
There are no follow-ons for this course.
Certification Programs and Certificate Tracks
This course is part of the following programs or tracks:
1. Course Introduction
2. Operating System Fundamentals
- OS Fundamentals
- System Backup and Restore
3. Scalability and Reliability
- WAN ISP Failover and Ethernet Load Balancing
- Policy-Based Routing
- High Availability
4. Secure Access and Content Control
- VPN: Gateway-to-Gateway, Hub and Spoke, Mesh
- Route-Based VPN
- GVC with Local User DB
- SSL VPN with Local User Database
- SSL VPN and Global VPN Client with LDAP Authentication
- Content Filtering Service
- Content Filtering Service Using Single Sign-On
5. Unified Threat Management
6. Secure Wireless Overview
- Wireless Products
- Wireless Threats
- Wireless Solutions