Symmetrix Performance Workshop
Learn to analyze the performance of a Symmetrix arrays using ControlCenter Performance Manager and Symmetrix Performance Analyzer tools.
In this course, you will be introduced to the methodology for analyzing performance of Symmetrix arrays. You will learn to analyze Symmetrix performance using ControlCenter Performance Manager and Symmetrix Performance Analyzer tools. Metrics that are relevant for analysis of each of the components in a Symmetrix array are presented. You will learn to identify bottlenecks for performance and provide recommendations to remedy the problem. Hands-on lab exercises using performance archives reinforce the concepts and methodology presented in the lecture.
Did You Know?
This class is available in our Virtual Classroom -- live online training that combines premium skills development technologies and expert instructors, content, and exercises to ensure superior training, regardless of your location.
What You'll Learn
- Relate knowledge of the Symmetrix architecture and I/O handling processes to their performance benefits
- Performance impact different types of workloads have on Symmetrix architectural components
- Use key metrics to identify performance bottlenecks and component over utilization
- Make performance-oriented recommendations when allocating new storage or migrating applications
Who Needs to Attend
Anyone responsible for operating, maintaining, and optimizing the performance of a Symmetrix storage environment
- Strong understanding of basic Symmetrix DMX and VMAX architecture and the use of ControlCenter Performance Manager
- Experience with Symmetrix Performance Analyzer is recommended
There are no follow-ons for this course.
Certification Programs and Certificate Tracks
This course is part of the following programs or tracks:
1. Performance Management
2. Tools for Analyzing Symmetrix Performance
- Symmetrix Performance Analyzer
- ControlCenter Performance Manager
- Viewing Archives with Performance Manager
- ControlCenter Performance Manager Reports
3. Performance Analysis
- Workload Profiles and Characterization
- Performance Analysis Roadmap
- Little's Law and its Impact on Response Time
4. Analyzing Performance of the Symmetrix Front-End Adapters
5. Analyzing Symmetrix Cache Performance
- Symmetrix Cache Architecture
- Cache Hit and Miss I/O Operations
- System and Device Write Pending Limits
- Dynamic Cache Partitions
- Alignment of I/O with Cache Slots
6. Analyzing Performance of the Symmetrix Back-End Adapters
- Symmetrix Back-End architecture
- Analyzing Symmetrix Back-End Utilization
- Analyzing I/O Imbalance
- Symmetrix Back-End Optimization Algorithms
- Impact of RAID Protection on Back-End Performance
7. Performance Considerations for Business Continuity Operations
- TimeFinder Performance Considerations
- SRDF Performance Considerations
In addition to lecture and demonstrations, this course includes hands-on labs to provide you with practical experience.