Successful Management Techniques in a Matrix Organization
Learn to lead cross-functional teams effectively.
Delivering cross-departmental projects can be a challenge no matter how your company is organized. In matrix organizations-which are becoming more and more popular-the challenges often seem overwhelming. In this short course, you'll learn how to manage those challenges, and you'll learn about negotiation, managing conflict, and delegating project tasks. You'll also learn about providing performance reviews and team building.
Virtual short courses do not include materials or headsets.
This is a virtual short course, specially designed to give you a quick, convenient way to earn PMI PDUs or concentrate on a specialized topic. This course is also part of our PMP® Renewal Program.
What You'll Learn
- Characteristics of functional, projectized, and matrix organizational structures
- Benefits and drawbacks associated with a matrix structure
- Challenges of being a project manager in a matrix organization
- Negotiation basics
- Steps involved in performance reviews
- Importance of managing conflict
Who Needs to Attend
PMP-certified project managers, IT project managers, project coordinators, project analysts, project leaders, senior project managers, team leaders, product managers, program managers, project sponsors, and project team members who want to continue to develop their skills and renew their PMP certification.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- IT Risk Management
- Requirements Development, Documentation, and Management
- Project Management, Leadership, and Communication
1. Introduction to Matrix Management
- Types of Project Delivery Organizations
- Roles of the Project Manager and Functional Manager
- Stakeholder Analysis
2. Negotiation and Communication
- Negotiation Basics
- Communication Basics
- Responsibility Assignment Matrix
3. Performance Management
- Principles of Performance Management
- The Performance Management Cycle
4. Conflict Management and Effective Delegation
- Essentials of Conflict Management
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Effective Delegation
5. Team Building
- Effective Teams
- Team Motivation